Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cement board is pretty handy stuff

So, there are a portion of you guys that don't comment but ask me questions via email or in person. I thought I'd answer one about the materials I use. The glass for the Martian tree mosaic is directly onto cement board. This is the same stuff you would use to tile a floor - you can buy it at Home Depot in 3'x5' sheets and use a utility knife cut to your desired size.

My trick for hanging is to drill two holes through the board and carve a channel for wire or string to lay in. You then feed the wire through and tie the wire off in the back of the mosaic. Because of the channel, you can mosaic right over the top so you basically have a hidden hanging system.

It is a great surface for not a lot of money - I'm a big fan.

1 comment: